What is a Dilator?
Vaginal dilators are common tools that have been around for quite a long time and are used for various purposes, including therapy and treatment. Today’s blog post answers the question; “what is a dilator?” and how you can use one.
What is a Vaginal Dilator?
Vaginal dilators are basically medical devices that will stretch or dilate your vagina as you insert them inside it.
It’s usually cylindrical in shape but the length and width/thickness vary depending on which ones you need. However, vaginal dilators are much more commonly sold in a kit that contains a range of dilators that has different length, thickness, or width.
Vaginal dilators are usually either made out of plastic or other body-safe materials (i.e., silicone). These materials also make the dilators easier to clean, dry, and store.
How To Use Vaginal Dilators
In a nutshell: you simply insert the vaginal dilators inside your vagina.
These dilators may appear fairly straightforward and simple to use. However, there are a few things to take note of in order to use them in a safe manner:
- Clean the dilator thoroughly with some warm water and soap before using it (and wipe it dry with a clean towel)
- Apply lube generously around both your vagina opening and the dilator
- Do not push or insert the dilators with too much force; slowly push them in and apply more lube if necessary
- Once the dilator is inside, you can play around (i.e., taking it out and then putting it in the back) with it for around ten to fifteen minutes before removing it
- Clean, dry and store it properly once you’re finished.
- Vaginal dilators are medical devices that help stretch your vagina (including vaginal and pelvic muscles).
- They are usually made out of silicone. They are cylindrical in shape but may vary in terms of length, thickness, or width.
- Vaginal dilators are used by inserting them inside your vagina with the application of some lube.
- Cleaning, drying, and storing of vaginal dilators are important after using them.